At R&L Holt, the sustainability of how we grow our tomatoes is extremely important to us. Below are five ways in which we grow our tomatoes in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way…
- We use recycled woodchip in boilers to provide hot water to heat the glasshouses which is stored in buffer tanks.
- Thermal screens work both in warm and cold temperatures as they shade crops during bright weather and keep heat in the glasshouse during the winter months.
- LED lighting uses up to 40% less electricity than conventional lighting that is powered by on site CHP plants, so we do not depend on the National Grid supply.
- Solar panels provide the power to run pumps that irrigate the crops and climate control helps to ensure we are not wasting energy.
- We pack our crops in re-usable crates.
We hope that this information has given a more detailed insight into how we work sustainably at R&L Holt!