Sustainability is a critical concept that emphasises the preservation of natural resources. It encompasses various aspects, such as environmental, economic, and social considerations, all working together to create a balanced and harmonious ecosystem. The importance of sustainability cannot be overstated, as it plays a vital role in addressing pressing global challenges.
At R&L Holt, we recognise the importance of sustainable practices and use it in our work as much as we can. Here’s what we do at R&L Holt to do our bit for the environment:
- We use recycled woodchip in boilers to provide hot water to heat the glasshouses which is stored in buffer tanks.
- Carbon dioxide, a byproduct of an anaerobic digestor is used in the crops to aid photosynthesis.
- Solar panels provide the power to run pumps that irrigate the crops and climate control helps to ensure we are not wasting energy.
- Thermal screens keep heat in the glasshouse, but also help to shade the crops during bright weather.
- LED lighting uses up to 40% less electricity than conventional lighting that is powered by on site CHP plants. This reduces the requirement to import power and therefore not rely on the National Grid supply.
We are always looking for ways we can work more sustainably and are striving for a greener future.