This tomato and goat cheese tart makes for a delightful appetiser or a light lunch option. The combination of juicy tomatoes, creamy goat cheese, and flaky puff pastry creates a harmonious blend of flavours. Enjoy it on its own or pair it with a fresh green salad for a complete meal.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 4-5 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces (113 grams) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry sheet to your desired thickness. Transfer the rolled-out pastry onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Prick the surface of the puff pastry with a fork to prevent it from puffing up too much during baking.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Brush the olive oil mixture evenly over the surface of the puff pastry, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese over the pastry, distributing it evenly.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top of the goat cheese, overlapping them slightly.
- Season the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the tart in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Once baked, remove the tart from the oven and allow it to cool slightly. Sprinkle the chopped fresh basil leaves over the top for added freshness and flavour.
- Slice the tomato and goat cheese tart into squares or wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.