Enjoy the comforting and flavourful tomato pasta! This dish is perfect for a quick and satisfying meal, and you can always customise it by adding cooked vegetables, grilled chicken, or shrimp for extra variety.
- 8 ounces (225 grams) pasta (such as spaghetti or penne)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces/400 grams) diced tomatoes (or 4-5 fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for a hint of spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped (for garnish)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional, for serving)
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant and golden.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the skillet, along with their juice. If using fresh tomatoes, cook them for a few minutes until they start to soften and release there juices.
- Stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the tomato sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will allow the flavours to meld together and the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Once the sauce has thickened to your liking, add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss well to coat the pasta with the tomato sauce.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to heat the pasta through.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh chopped basil leaves.
- Serve the tomato pasta hot, with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese if desired.