Who doesn’t love pizza? As a sharer or for yourself, pizza hits the spot, so try out this tasty tomato and mozzarella pizza this summer!
Ingredients for the Pizza Dough:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
Ingredients for the Pizza Toppings:
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
Instructions for the Pizza Dough:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the olive oil and warm water. Mix with a spoon until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. If it’s too dry, add a bit more water.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours until it doubles in size.
Instructions for Assembling and Baking the Pizza:
- Preheat your oven to 475°F (245°C). If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven while it preheats.
- Punch down the risen dough and transfer it to a floured surface. Roll out the dough into your desired pizza shape and thickness.
- Transfer the rolled-out dough onto a baking sheet or a pizza peel if you have a stone. If using a baking sheet, lightly grease it or line it with parchment paper.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the pizza dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce, covering the entire pizza.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the pizza toppings.
- Carefully transfer the pizza into the preheated oven (or onto the preheated pizza stone). Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle fresh torn basil leaves over the top.
- Allow the pizza to cool slightly before slicing and serving. Enjoy the delightful combination of tomato, mozzarella, and aromatic basil on your homemade pizza!