Have we got a treat for you!
This simple recipe for crunchy baked tomato and onion gratin is a sensational server to enjoy in the run up to summer.
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1.2kg mixed tomatoes, from really big to cherry
- 8 thyme or oregano sprigs, or a mixture, stripped, plus a few more
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 50-85g fresh white breadcrumbs
Step 1 – Heat oven to 180C/160C. Heat half the oil in a pan and gently soften the onions and garlic for 15-20 minutes until they are really soft and sticky but not browned.
Step 2 – Add the onions, tomatoes, herbs, sugar and breadcrumbs to a baking dish, season well and toss together.
Step 3 – Drizzle with the remaining half of oil and add a few more herbs and bake for 1 hour until golden on top and the tomatoes are juicy. Leave to cool then serve.