This Tomato Fried Rice is a delightful twist on traditional fried rice, incorporating the rich flavours of tomatoes and aromatic spices. It’s a great way to use up leftover rice and create a tasty and wholesome meal in no time. Enjoy the comfort and deliciousness of this easy-to-make Tomato Fried Rice!
- 2 cups cooked rice (preferably cold or at least cooled)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro or green onions for garnish (optional)
- Heat the Vegetable Oil: In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the Onions and Garlic: Add the chopped onions to the hot oil and sauté until they become translucent. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another minute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the Tomatoes and Spices: Stir in the diced tomatoes, ground cumin, and paprika. Cook the tomatoes until they soften and release their juices.
- Incorporate the Rice: Add the cooked rice to the skillet and mix well with the tomatoes and onions. Make sure the rice is coated with the tomato juices and spices.
- Season the Fried Rice: Drizzle soy sauce and tomato paste over the rice and mix thoroughly to evenly distribute the flavours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Peas: Toss in the thawed peas and continue to cook the fried rice for a few more minutes until the peas are heated through.
- Garnish and Serve: If desired, garnish the Tomato Fried Rice with fresh cilantro or green onions for added freshness and colour.
- Serve and Enjoy: Tomato Fried Rice is a delicious and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed on its own or served as a side dish to accompany your favourite Asian-inspired main courses.