The tomato trend is easy to join, there’s something so satisfying and rewarding about growing your own tomatoes at home! Yet, we know how challenging it can be to grow the PERFECT tomatoes, so we have come up with 5 simple yet effective tips on how you can grow the tastiest tomatoes this season!
- Water twice a day – Scorching summers are admittedly rare in the UK, but even with the tiniest bit of heat us Brits are searching for the next sip of water. Well, your tomatoes feel the same! Ensure that you’re watering your tomato plants twice a day to ensure that they are hydrated, and the soil is moist.
- Feed your tomatoes – Growing anything is a two-way street, if you feed your tomatoes the nutrients they need, they’ll provide you with a flavourful sweet taste!
- Sow seeds early to extend the season – This will allow the tomato plants to get used to their environment and with the right care, this will extend their season.
- Remove damaged plants – Doing this will ensure the growth of your existing and flourishing tomato plants by allowing them more room to grow.
- Cover the soil – Mulch blocks weeds, saves water and protects your fruit, so why wouldn’t you add it! Spread a 2-3” layer of organic mulch around plants, leaving 2” of room around the stem so water can reach the roots.
We hope that these tips will help you when growing your own tomatoes at home!